Had a quick shoot with the Max 42s, some red box 100 40 PPs, CCI mini mags. Perfect conditions, flat light, minimal air movement, 50 yards. These were all pulled straight out of the box.

With an old Marlin 81 (I think), I got patterns. Smallest pattern was with the CCI's, then the 42s, then the 40 PPs. Firing pin indents were pretty marginal, very weak, so I think I need a new pin and spring for the old gun. Not shot it in over a year, I don't think, but it's getting worked on before I shoot it again, that's for sure.

With the 10/22, ten shots each, CCI came in under .905 for ten. PP 40s were 1.3 inches for ten. Max 42s were 1.2 for ten with seven going into a solid clump under ..6.
Recoil feel was softest for the 40 PPs, a little stiffer for the CCIs, and stiffer yet, almost harsh, for the 42 maxes.

Then, I took all the ammo home and rim-gaged it. I have a dial indicator mounted to a section of barrel This is where it got interesting. Both Winchesters had rims from .096 to 1.003, a net spread of .007 thosandths from thinnest to thickest. What amazed me was that ALL the CCI fell inside two thousandths -- only two sorts total. Not a one was skinnier or fatter in what was left of two 100 packs -- maybe 150 shots total. So that was pretty impressive to me. CCI usually has a pretty narrow thickness spread, but two thousandths TOTAL is amazing.

Next shoot, I'll take the rim-gaged stuff out and see what kind of difference gaging makes.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.