Below are some photos of today's deer hunting success with the .270 Win. The Barnes TTSX 110 grainer started about 3,460 feet per second and stopped after 23" of penetration. The recovered bullet weighs 105.5 grains. The range was 239 yards. I ranged the rock it was near when I fired. It was just about the same height as me across a canyon heading up the other side. When I saw it I sat down and put the reticle on the buck. When I thought the bullet would get to the chest I fired. Instantly something white came out of the entrance wound. I've never seen that before. Because my shoulder is damaged I can't work the bolt anymore without taking the rifle down. By the time I got back on the deer it was sliding down the steep slope. The entrance location is indicated by the knife point. The TTSX broke a couple ribs on the entrance side. It went through lots of paunch and the the heart on its way to the front of the offside shoulder.

I leaned the rifle in the antlers where it stopped to get the middle photo. It is one of the larger bodied blacktails I have killed. The chest was 16" back to belly. It had a nice 3X4 rack.

Rifle is a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultralight with a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 in Talley lightweights. The brake is aluminum made by me. I can see bullet impacts with ease. The trigger is a factory trigger set at 20 ounces by a gunsmith. The factory fluted barrel is 24" long. The rifle weighs 8lb 1 oz.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter