Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'd be interested in seeing a writer do an article with a complete breakdown of some quality scopes. Testing them for all the regular stuff (especially dialing, return to 0 from dialing, and recoil) across a standard for all of them, then dismantling them to take a look at how they differ in components. It would be a bit costly. I wonder how many company's would donate a scope if they knew it was going to be broken down and compared to others?

Good luck with that! Firstly, very few writers are really qualified and/or equipped to make an accurate assesment. Secondly, no magazine is going to risk offending major advertisers with negative reviews.

Somewhere I read the standard practice for honest publications is that when they review something that doesn't measure up, they give the maker a mulligan in hopes that the failure was a fluke. If the second try goes badly, or the maker doesn't respond, their products get ignored henceforth. That is why, I think, that negative reviews seldom, if ever, get published, and why some products seemingly never get reviewed.

I pay attention to the stuff that writers use themselves outside of reviews, figuring that if they use something on their own time and dime, it's probably at least okay.

What fresh Hell is this?