Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have a cement company down the road a few miles that will weigh for free as a public service. I have an old '76 camper that I'm slowly restoring. I took it down and got both the axle weights and total weight. Of course the difference is the tongue wt. That's very useful to know sometimes.

If you play around on Etrialer.com there is a section on there that tells you how to get the tongue weight using a bathroom scale and lever arm.

Here ya go.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

You can use a bathroom scale and a box to measure tongue weight of smaller trailers. Place the coupler of the loaded trailer on the scale at normal towing height (Figure A). For heavier tongue weights, use the second method (Figure B). Be sure to perform these measurements on a level surface and with a leveled trailer.

To use the method in Figure B, follow these guidelines:

Always place the trailer tongue 1 foot from the pipe on the support brick
Multiply the reading on the scale by the total distance between the 2 support pipes
Use a brick that is the same thickness as the scale so that the 2 x 4 is level when you weigh your trailer

For example, if the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the scale is 2 feet and the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the support brick is 1 foot, then you would multiply the reading on the scale by 3 to get the tongue weight. If the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the scale is 3 feet and the distance between the trailer tongue and the pipe on the support brick is 1 foot, then you would multiply the reading on the scale by 4 to get the tongue weight.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender