Oklahoma is one of those states you would probably not think about as a fly fishing destination for trout. Nevertheless, the state has several prime areas (within three hours of my home in Oklahoma City) where water temperature and clarity will support rainbows and browns, and the state has a prolific stocking program from 1 November to 30 March. Two of our streams support trout year around, the lower Illinois River (below Lake Tenkiller,) and the Lower Mountain Fork (below Broken Bow Lake.) The Mountain Fork is consider to the best trout waters in all of Oklahoma.

[Linked Image]

While Arkansas has several nice trout streams within a six hour drive from my home. New Mexico is another great weekend trout destination for me and an eight hour drive to the closest streams in northern NM around Red River.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee