When the signal reaches the antenna, it is simply a radio frequency signal. The amplifier has no way to "know" what form of modulation the signal is carrying, digital or analog. Same old analog amplifier works for all signals. It mounts right at the antenna, and gets its power over the same coaxial cable that brings the signal down.

By Google Earth, I'm 49 miles from the mountain where our local transmitters are. I pull in all the stations solidly on a two bow-tie antenna, good weather or bad. That said, I have a favorable location, though my antenna is "looking" through some greenery, which tends to reduce the signal in summer, but not enough to make a difference. The attached picture is my installation, a simple chimney mount.

All our local stations are in the 500-675 MHz UHF range. I thought everyone had moved out of the lower bands. If some DTV broadcast is still going on on the old VHF band, then my assumption was wrong. So you'll have to check the frequencies used in your particular area. If you're UHF only, then this installation is effective.

[Linked Image]

If there is a mountain between you and the transmitter, chances are you're out of luck. If the problem is just too many miles, then you can go to a four bow-tie or an eight bow-tie arrangement. If your antenna is pointing through a lot of greenery, more bow-ties will help.

They make a lot of different antenna designs. I'm partial to this one because it offers reasonable gain and bandwidth with modest wind load characteristics, and aiming is not quite as critical as some other designs. I'm sure that the other designs work just fine as well.

Last edited by denton; 10/14/17.

Be not weary in well doing.