In the 308 I had a Browning BLR that was my "Cowboy" brush gun. I loaded 150 & 180 grain 30-30 bullets from Hornaday and Sierra. Worked great on small whitetail I called it my 30-30 super. We also used some assorted 125 grain bullets for longer ranges and these were explosive. This was before the beefed up Nosler BT.

In the 300 all I have ever used are 180's mostly Barnes. If it's not broke why fix it? Open fine on small deer and made to order for Elk size game.

Almost any bullet between 125 and 200 grains will perform well in the 308 as they were designed for the 08 and 06 and the mild velocities are kinder on the bullet and get the best from it. For larger game or an expensive hunt I like the added mojo of a premium and double this for the 300. A psychological advantage is a good thing and the premiums do perform.

If just starting load development I would pair a Nosler Accubond and BT using the 125-165 in the 308 and 165-200 in the 300 depending on application and which ones came in the same weight. Usually the two will shoot to the same POI sometimes with no load juggling at all.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli