My son has outgrown his Remington Compact 870 20ga and it is now time to find a full size shotgun for him. I am looking into an auto for him. This will be my first time buying an auto as all of my pumps are Remington. So I am not really well versed on autos.
And I actually may get a light 20ga for my wife and daughter since both are of small stature. (I seen someone mention Weatherby SA 80 20ga as a lightweight version and thought of this for my wife and daughter and oh heck I'd probably use it too but I am a lefty.)
I have the Browning upland 20ga and think my wife and son like the pistol grip shotguns better so I am going to trip this shotgun down the road.
My son has enjoyed shooting shotguns alot so I am willing to go up to $1000 or a bit more as I know he will probably keep a long time. My son became 14 last summer and is a strapping young boy...he just outgrew his compact 870 pump that he learned shotgunning with.

I saw someone state Remington is now selling the 1100 and they have a 3" chamber. Seem perfect for my son (and I may use it some and become acquainted with an auto.) But I prefer to have the 26" barrel and it looks like they come in 28" barrels only.
Are there other options I should consider besides Remington? Obviously I'd like the most dependable shotgun so what other makes should I consider? Franchi? Weatherby? Benelli? Beretta?

This will be used for clays but Coyote hunting since we hunt mostly woods or semi open woods this is why I want the 1100. We all know Remington quality is not what they used to be but are the 1100 models as good as the previous 1100's?

Thanks for your ideas.