I've got a buddy that I've known for about 45 years who hunts with custom built rifles all over the world. He is not one to spend a lot of money if he doesn't have to. So his guns wear plain walnut stocks that he installs himself. He uses surplus military 6.5 and 7mm barrels that he has contoured, etc.
He hunts for old steel tube Weavers and Leupold fix magnification scopes in good shape. He doesn't hunt wet country with the Weavers I'm told. Never had one any of them let him down on a hunt.
I've got an old Leupold 7.5XAO, an 80's M8 4X and a B&L that I bought in 1972. The only one I wouldn't use for a serious big game hunt is the 7.5XAO. Not because I don't trust the scope. I wouldn't because of it's short eye relief and small eye box. But the two 4X's are proven performers. One of them is a backup scope for my custom '06'.
I do prefer the modern scopes. But one of the rifles I'm about to take on my three week hunting trip is a 20 yr. old 6X42 Leupold. So, it's your call. If it is a new to you scope, I'd test it a good bit before trusting it. The other thing is all scopes will fail if used enough. So, take a backup if hunting far from home. E