Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by PitkinCO
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by blanket
You went into the military to protect your country, you had faith in the politicians you elected, you could take your vehicle to the mechanic without taking up the tailpipe, the newspapers and the reporters on TV reported the news. not their take and embellishment on it, men and women got married, people went to church on Sunday, Political correctness was a phrase you never heard, people went to work and earned their living, kids in school answered to their father if they screwed up. Where did it go wrong???

I don't think world ever existed. That was a "Leave it to Beaver" TV delusion / propaganda we were supposed to buy into ... and many did. The difference in older times was that most the deviations from the image stayed behind closed doors, NOT what actually happened behind those doors. Human nature does not change. What's changed is we got jaded and started seeing what was there to see all along.

Tom

Ignorance was bliss I suppose.

I think the people who are overly enamored with that utopian past were simply too young at the time to have been fully aware of all that was going on. You can drive back but you can never go home. It never was the thing you remember it being now.

Tom

Or had parents who tried like hell to hide or shield their kids from that stuff, for better or worse. My mom grew up in SE Missouri in what would appear to be a proper, god-fearing, well bred family whose manners and decorum were impeccable almost to a fault at times. My dad grew up in Queens NY to a loud, everything-out-on-the-table family of first-generation Lithuanians. From the outside you would think my Dad's family was crazy with all kinds of drama and problems. But my mom has just as many stories of skeletons and dirty laundry as my dads family, it's just that her parents generation never talked about and tried a lot harder to keep it in the closet. As a father to two young girls I can understand the appeal of my mom's family's approach, but as I get older I lean more towards my Dad's family because I've realized that hiding problems or pretending they don't exist doesn't make them go away.