Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by jimmyp
and after all this screwin around you could have just bought a new barrel and be done with it.

Some work with what they already have, others just buy and buy more. Different strokes really, and can generally work both ways.

I think he is so close to it working, other than being stubborn about cheap ball ammo, its almost there....as is.

Anyone cares to send me $100, I'll go buy a new barrel. I'd rather spend that kind of money something else. I could have gone and bought him a $2k name brand build, but what's the fun in that?

I have the equipment, if not the knowledge to find out if this barrel can be made to work. That's why I tinker with stuff. I always wonder why people are so concerned with how much work something might be for someone else and advise they buy their way out. I enjoy the challenge of a problem (that I admit I created) like this.

Just to clarify, I'm not building this to run steel case crap. I was just using some up to center the scope. When I say "cheap ball" I'm talking about Federal Eagle, IMI, Wolf Gold, and PMC brass cased stuff with inexpensive FMJ bullets. He doesn't hand load and is a poor college kid. Plan was I build the rifle from parts I've collected and his dad buys him a case of ball to play with and 100 rounds of "good stuff" for coyotes and other varmints. I get all the spent brass in compensation for my incredible effort.

I appreciate most of the input. I'll be drilling the port tonight and testing on Friday and Saturday hopefully. I will report back with results, good or bad.