I will add my vote for several knives from different makers that suit your needs. I have several from Henckles, Mundial, Forschner, Dexter Russell, Sabatier, Case XX and LamsonSharp.

Also, and as R_H_Clark mentioned, the white-handled Dexter Russell are very good knives for a very reasonable price. The Dexter V-Lo series of knives are also great and have nice, grippy handles. I have a few of each.

However, it sounds like you might want a matched set, if so, I'd recommend going to a Restaurant Supply and picking out several Dexter V-Lo knives that you like and you will have a great set for not much money at all. There are also V-Lo sets available along with a matching stainless steel knife block or knife roll that should be within your budget. You get a lot of bang for the buck with Russell.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/20/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue