The story of a girl, her family, and her dad...

Chapter one: The Does!

This year, our daughter Addy is 7. She has always been interested in the outdoors but here lately she has really taken on a strong appreciation for the matter. This Spring, the company I work for sold so as it was time to apply for the hunts, my future was up in the air. We came really close to becoming Texan's but it was important to me that I lined a few hunts up that I could really try to involve Addy with. I originally put her mother and I in for points as we were moving to Texas and as soon as I learned that we would be staying in Colorado, I filled out the paper work to correct our applications and got us in on the drawing for buck tags. We both drew out.

We knew we were going to be adding a new addition to our family the middle of September so we knew Kristen would 't be in much shape for the hunt in October but we decided we would try to give it our best go. I didn't know how the buck hunt would go so I found a doe tag in South Central Utah that is close to a lake my dad likes to fish so we made plans to just make an adventure of the doe hunt and planned on Grandpa being there with his boat and with any luck we would have Surf n Turf!

The doe hunt went as depredation doe hunts go. It's nothing exciting for internet forums but it was sure fun for a dad, his daughter and his dad.

It didn't take long to find the deer. Addy and I hiked a ridge on a very cold opening morning and waited for other hunters to push us some deer and I was able to single out a dry doe and put the hurts to her with my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 shooting 165 grain Hornady BTSP.

[Linked Image]

Now I'm a custom knife maker in between being and oil field worker and a father and I do it in my spare time which there isn't very much of. I hadn't had time to make myself a hunting knife prior to this hunt so it was my old faithful Case XX pocket knife that had the honors this hunt.

[Linked Image]

We got to spend plenty of time on the water with Grandpa and put a few nice fish in the boat. It was a great trip and Addy was beside herself with fun and adventure.

[Linked Image]

It was a very fun time and with two weeks left until the buck hunt we had fun scouting and finding were the majority of the bucks were hanging out. I'm going to throw in here that there is a town buck that has spent a very large portion of his time in my yard, eating my garden and napping in the jungle I call my back yard. it has been fun watching him grow the last few years and I'm proud I was able to make friends with this fella. It hard staring at a buck like this all summer and fall as it kinda makes you set your expectations a little high for reality.

I call him "little man" It's only a matter of time before the douchbags around try to do something stupid to kill this guy. I wish I could lock him in my shop for the next few weeks as he is only 4.5 years old and he is too much of a tame pet.

[Linked Image]

That is my lawn mower shed he likes to bed by.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lots more to come and thanks for following along.

Todd