Richard--does it cost you for a background check locally?
I have been involved with adult education classes here locally for many years now--we have a guy from Thunder Bay come down and teach the Pal course every couple of years or so. I help with the paperwork and application process--as you know it's a 4 page application with pictures and guarantors etc.--furthmore if you are aboriginal there is an additional 5 page application so you don't have to pay the $60 processing fee.
You wouldn't believe how many get tossed back for some really weird reasons. I once had a native couple where the husband was a C-31 Indian--that means he got his status back after 1985--his wife was born an Indian and duly registered as such--hers was rejected when I called the 1-800 number and asked about it I was told she didn't look Indian enough. I wish I could have had that conversation recorded.
Here's something else I noticed--I know a number of people who have had firearms confiscated--sometimes they get them back if they jump thru the proper hoops but they never get any clips back with them. If they aren't disposing of them regularly I'll bet there is a big box of .303 clips at the local OPP station.
If you keep at it you will eventually get your PAL --the powers that be are just letting you know who the Kings Regents really are.