I have never owned a handheld gps unit. the first one I got is the gps in my moderately-priced Humminbird sonar unit that I use to mark waypoints for trees, rockpiles, etc. when the lake is down at winter pool. I went back to fish them this fall when the lake was several feel higher and found that my sonar unit seems to have a problem with wandering waypoints, sometimes as much as relocating one over a 50yd. stretch of bank on different trips. Once it showed my boat several yards up in the woods. That doesn't seem like much, but when the trees which aren't much more than the trunk and a few large branches left are in a small area it makes a big difference.

I am not getting a new sonar unit for a while yet. I have in mind to get a handheld gps unit to guide me to the exact waypoint after using my sonar unit to get close. What level of accuracy can I expect from a moderately priced, yet good basic unit? I won't be doing land navigation, geocaching, or anything else sophisticated with it. But it does need to be very accurate. Suggestions on units or brands are appreciated.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me