I've had this pre-safety 1895, 45-70 for many years, bought it used at a gun show for $185, was missing the rear sight. I killed deer with it back in the day, just now got it out and am working with it again.

Many moons ago, I cut off the top of the factory stock on a table saw, glued pieces of wood to build a cheek piece and comb. After I got is shaped to suit, I painted it with Brownell's crinkle paint. The finish has worn over the years and it isn't the prettiest gun. But the action is really slick and it has a very good trigger.

Recently I mounted a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10. It had a VX III 1.5-5x20 in the Redfield rings. The Leupold is an excellent scope. I already had the 4200; I like 2.5X for quick shooting, 10X for range work. The larger objective should be better in low light. 4200's have very good glass and a good duplex reticle. I'd put it even with or ahead of the VX-III. 4200's have a shorter ER than Leupolds, but with solid cheek weld and a good hold, no problem. Recoil isn't that bad, although the scope was slipping in the rings. I clean them with acetone, applied rubber glue and reassembled. It's holding.

Over the years, I had used a number of powders such as RL-7, 3031, 4198, Vv 133 and 120, my current favorite is John Taffin's 52 gr. H-322 load with 300 gr. jacketed bullets at around 1,875 fps. H-322 is an Australian powder. I got some Combined Technologies 300's at SPS for a good price. I had a few Hornady 300 gr. JHP's on hand. The Hornady 300's out shot the CT 300's Here's the best Hornady group at a hundred. I can fairly consistently shoot 1 1/2" or better with the Horn, nearly that good with CT's. I'm using W/W brass, Fed 210 primers, Redding dies and Lee Factory crimp die.

I took it hunting this past weekend, didn't shoot anything, but it's ready and I'm ready. It's sighted 1 1/2" high at a hundred and I have a printout for holds out to 250 yds. It's not a long range gun, but it'll do pretty good with a drop chart.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/06/17.