Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dogshooter,

That's the dirty little secret of the 6.5 Creedmoor: The longest high-BC bullets can't be seated to the lands in some factory rifles, and still have the rounds fit in the magazine.

However, high-BC bullets just a little shorter will almost always work, such as the 139 Lapua Scenar. which is probably part of the reason that companies like Berger are making some slightly shorter-ogived bullets with BC's just about as high as the longer ones.

My present .260 (a Tikka T3) wouldn't even allow either 130 or 140 AccuBonds (the standard models, not the 129 or 142 LRAB) out to the lands.

Is seating bullets out to the lands a big deal for accuracy?

I have several Sako's and Tikka's, some rebarreled some factory. Bullets are seated to magazine length for hunting (always way short of the lands) and for target shooting set the bullet ~0.015" off the lands. The target loads are single loaded as they won't fit the magazine.

I strive for 0.3-4 moa (5 shot groups) all the way out to 1000+ yards and generally able to get it with factory and after market barrels with no particular seating depth fidgeting. Rifles are mechanically sound.

I do load the ammunition following the OCW and OBT criteria , tune with powder charge , with the aid of QuickLoad and a LabRadar.

As a side note, I've found for my particular 260 Rem that I can not get on a node with the 140gn bullets with out stepping above the design pressure. 136 gn Lapua's fixed that, OCW and OBT are right on and are 0.013" off the lands for no particular reason.