Got back from picking mine up a little while ago. Wood is decent and has some character, nothing to write home about but given the wide range of wood quality on No. 1's these days I won't complain. This is due to go to RJ Renner to get his English Stalking Rifle makeover and Roger has a way of bringing out the best in the wood so I think this will look pretty nice when all is said and done.

My mama told me it is crass to talk about what you paid for stuff, but I'll make an exception here. I had a $10 off Cabela's card and with tax minus the ten bucks the total was $837.20. However, Cabela's also gives a 5% military/veteran discount. Since this was prepaid by credit card they couldn't take that discount at the counter but the fellow gave me a $40 gift card which is what 5% of the base price would have amounted to. So counting that the rifle was $797.20 out the door for a NIB Ruger #1 which ain't too shabby.

In other news, I chatted with one of the counter guys as they were checking my paperwork and he said that Cabela's is closing out the number 1's, that's why the great prices. I also asked about those 7mm-08's and the confusion over lengths and which one was which. He didn't know but he gave me the number of a lady to ask. I can't guarantee she can tell you which one is which but he said if anyone knows she would.

So if you're interested you can call Samantha at the Boise store, 208-672-8283, I imagine you could get hold of her during normal business hours.

In other other news of course the very first thing I did was put an XS sight on it, but when trying to get the factory front sight off I snapped that teeny little plunger dimple right off. You can depress it what you think is enough but wasn't, so then a light tap with a small mallet snaps the plunger dimple clean off. Part number D68 if that matters. Did I mention what a teeny, tiny, itsy bitsy little thing it is? From the grain structure at the break this is obviously not a hardened steel part.... Oh well, if it can be broken it can be fixed.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!