Originally Posted by specneeds
If you can afford it go the classic guided hunt in the wilderness in Wyoming on horseback. The experience and adventure sounds like what you are after. I haven’t scratched that itch yet myself but need to in the next couple of years. After that you can hunt diy public land in Colorado like we do for under $2000 a year since you will have the bug.

I get an elk most years but more cows than bulls - first legal elk for me fills the freezer and I draw for a cow tag then buy otc bull. I waited until I was in my 40’s to hunt elk, my 12 year old grandson gets hi first trip with both tags this week. The sooner you start the more elk hunting you get in before you are too old or infirm.

Back in the '70s, I was at a dinner seated next to Henry Kissinger's brother, who had just come back from a horseback elk hunting in Wyoming, exactly as you describe. He and I got to talking about hunting and he made it sound wonderful.

I've always wanted to do that, but I too am finally going to get my feet wet with just a cow elk hunt. A neighbor who is a lifelong NM resident (and frequent hunter throughout the state) and I have signed up for a hunt on Vermejo Ranch, owned by Ted Turner and with tons of elk near Raton. From past posts, I know many here are quite familiar with that place.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).