I only bow hunt for Mountain goats (I generally use a rifle, but registration goat hunting is bow only) and I got a goat this past weekend. And I had a really hard time carrying my bow on the pack. So when I saw this thread I instantly perked up - and there is nothing here! Carry your bow in hand - REALLY! If I had done that I'd have died in a serious fall for sure. I was climbing down ice falls and beating through thick brush. I had to have ski poles and hands free - and with a goat on board I can't imagine not using hiking poles.

Anyway, I wrapped the sights etc in a puff jacket and 'goat camo' (a white painter's suit) and put the top lid of the pack over it all to hold it on. I put the bow as vertical as possible to create a thinner profile. I was really careful not to have anything rubbing on the bow string. But on the way home with goat on board I did bang the cams on rocks. So there must be a better way. (and my cams seem to be OK). What do people do when they carry their bow into the serious backcountry? I know they don't carry it in hand or with a sling. Are there special packs for carrying bows?

Patrick