I like the fixed 4X most, but I also like 2X-7X for such guns. I get higher magnification only on rifles I use for prairie dogs and small varmints.
Magnification comes at a cost of smaller field of view and/or heavier weight. The speed of target acquisition and brightness far outweighs magnification to me, so I like lower powers. Deer and elk are pretty large targets and I don't need to make them look 7-18 times larger. I do want to get on them fast and make a shot, and so for me personally I have found that the lower power scopes are better. It's false that magnification makes you shoot better. If you can't hold on target you can't hold on target. The scope isn't shooting. You are!

I do have some rifles with 2X-7X and 3X-9X scopes but they seldom come off 2-3X. I killed an elk 2 years ago at 400 yards with a 270 Short Mag and a 2X-7X and I had it set on 5X. That was an exception for me.

But dialing up is rare for me. Brightness and field of view are more valuable to me then making the target look bigger. If the target is tiny, like ground squirrels, then I can see a reason to dial up, but not on antelope, deer, elk, moose, bear, buffalo or anything else of Doe Deer Size of larger.

But that's just me.