This design task reminds me of one my father posed several years ago. He wanted a perfect "one gun." It needed to be light, handy, highly accurate to 5-600 yards, elk capable, pleasant to shoot, etc. In short, he was defining a null set--no rifle could be all of those things simultaneously. At some point you have to make some design tradeoffs.

I would start with one of the good Rem 700 clones and spin on #2/2b/3 contour barrel (depending on the maker; contours vary), 24", flush bottom metal, and a good trigger. He needs to think about the stock and the scope as a unit. Getting the height of the comb right for the height of the scope will really matter in terms of cheek weld, accuracy, and the ability to handle recoil. But I think the bare gun will be closer to 8# than 7.

My father ended his quest with a 6.5-.284 that Greg Tannel built on a Rem 700, Jewell, and a McMillan Sako pattern stock. It absolutely is his go-to rifle and I don't think he has shot a critter with anything else in close to a decade. It is also at least 8# bare, but balances well and the stock pattern fits him well.