[size:11pt][/size][color:#990000][/color]I have just returned from a successful elk hunt in Idaho. I used a 300 win mag and Barnes TTSX 165 grain bullets with muzzle velocity of 3148. I shot an elk at 250 yards. The animal dropped in it’s tracks.
When I examined the elk, I found that the entrance wound was in the near shoulder and the exit wound on the neck of the opposite side.

What a we discovered while quartering the animal was that there was bloodshot in the rear spine/hip area as well as swelling of the intestines.
The bullet path was not anywhere near these two areas. What I believe happened was that a petal of the Barnes bullet came off at impact and travelled back into the rear of the animal. The other option would be from bone fragments, although I don’t think that a bone fragment would retain enough energy to travel through that much tissue. On the other hand.... the fragment channel as near as we could figure was close to 90 degrees from the linear momentum of the bullet as fired. This fact would seem to support a bone fragment theory.
Just sayin.. The answer to the mystery is on a steep hillside in Idaho.

Anyone had similar experiences with Barnes bullets?

Last edited by rblum100; 11/18/17.