Originally Posted by Steelhead
What is your process for making jerky?

Let's see.

Most time it is too warm here to let your venison hang. If it is say 45 degress out or below I will let it hang overnight. Otherwise I try to have the skinned and quartered carcass in a cooler on a bed of ice within two hours or so of the time from when the critter was shot. I keep the in the cooler, packed in ice, draining and wet aging for at least 6 days. Most times I will then take the meat out, wrap in paper and freeze for 30 to 60 days, so as to kill off any harmful organisms. We can take 5 deer here per tag, so between my oldest son and I we can kill 10 deer a year. Conseqently I will use both backstraps and hinds for making jerky. I will defrost over a couple days in a cooler, then table trim to get any fat and silver-skin off the meat. I employ a jerkey board that has a 1/4" and a 3/8" lip, depending on how thick I want to slice. I generally slice with the grain of the meat. Sometimes I cut sections about 1.5 " x 6 inches, other times I cut slabs, 4" to 6" wide. I will then take bottle of Stubbs Sweet Heat and HEB Carolina style Bar-b-que sauce and pour into a half gallon pitcher, add a bottle of Negra Modelo, garlic powder, Tony Chacheries or Slap yo' Mamma, black pepper, cayenne pepper and just a skosh of chili powder. I mix this "soak" up good. Then I place about 5 lbs of meat in a 2 gallon zip lock bag and pour in the soak. I will then place this bag in a container and put it outside in a cooler on ice for 12-18 hours. After it has soaked I will use High Mountain Seasonings, either Hunters Blend, Mesquite, Cracked Pepper and Garlic or Hickory, depending on my mood. I mix the seasoning and cure in correct proportions and mix it with the meat. I will then put the meat back in the bag and place it back in the cooler on ice for 48 hours. When it is cured, I will put it in my smoker for an hour or two at 145 degrees. After a couple hours of smoke, I will then put it on racks in the dehydrator for another 4 hours or so until it is dried to my satisfaction. Depending on thickness it may take a bit longer.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.