Today was the opening day of rifle season, the weather nigh perfect (34 degrees and near dead calm winds), and the woods were alive with birds, squirrels, and lots of bear poop. smile .

At 8:08 AM I was standing near my favorite tree in my favorite place to be when looking to put some venison on the meat pole when a fat 7 point buck came up the ridge out of a thicket and stopped about 40 yards away. The .280 AI spoke and he dropped dead in his tracks. The 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, even at this close range, blew right thru him with a minimum of meat damage.

As near as I can tell this is the 32nd deer (360th round down the bore) at ranges of 15 to near 300 yards this particular rifle and load has taken. We have yet to keep one of the 120 NBT inside a deer and all 32 of the deer have been DRT. It is a deer killing machine.

One surprising thing about this buck was that he showed absolutely no signs of any rutting activity. This is well out of the norm for mid November. Either the rut hit really early or it hasn't got going yet.

As soon as I can figure out how to get the camera out of video mode I will post a picture of the buck. (this may take a while and the intervention of my computer geek brother)

Even better than getting a buck with my favorite rifle was getting to spend the day hunting with my dad. Most fun I have had in a long time.

If you can take every possible opportunity to spend days in the field with your dad, kids, spouses, and good friends. Savor them.

Times just do not get any better and they are all too fleeting in this uncertain world we live in.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.