I finally took the time to really check out a Miller KODIAK mount I have had for a while. This one is for 7/8" scopes and I used a quite beat up Norman Ford Texan while experimenting. This mount had the spacers that are needed when used on an 1899/99 due to the rear of the receiver being lower than the front. I found the spacers were very hard to keep in place and would fall out every time I loosened the mount to adjust the position - that was very frustrating until I found a simple solution...

[Linked Image]

The rear mount rests on the rounded end of two rather small screws, there are even smaller set screws to lock them in place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These mounts have quite a bit of adjustment and should work with fixed scopes in most cases. It appears to have enough elevation adjustment on an 1899 for use with a fixed scope. Adjusting the rear all the way down looked like it would just barely get the elevation low enough, I found changing the position of the front mount raised the front and gained a bit more adjustment. Windage could be adjusted by drifting the front attachment or by tilting the rear mount on the scope, which allows for a lot of adjustment, or to a lesser extent by adjusting the elevation screws unevenly to move the windage No matter what, even though it looks like it would work, it seems to me it would be hard to use just the mount for all adjusting.

[Linked Image]

You can see by moving the mount forward on the scope it reduced the bow in the front mount which raised the front slightly.

Lyman evidently thought this mount was suitable for their fixed Alaskan judging from the picture on the box flap.

[Linked Image]

If anyone thinks this mount might work on a 1920, I think it mounts to low to allow the bolt to clear the scope, I held this mount on a 20/26 with the bolt open and it had interference (of course I could not actually attach the mount because the 20/26 does not have a rear sight dovetail).

I also have held it to a 23A and the rear mount is too wide for the screws to contact the receiver, I do not know it they made a narrower rear mount for these or not.

IMO this is an very interesting and unique mount, but it does not appear to be a very good mount, it is not really held solidly in position and if used with a fixed scope as shown by Lyman, I think it would be very hard to adjust.

Last edited by GeneB; 11/20/17. Reason: added note - later moved some text under a different picture

Gene