KC -
I've hunted unit 76 twice and unit 61 three times in the past 10 years or so.
I don't think you would go wrong with either area. I think the altitude and terrain is the biggest difference.
Describing them is kind of like the story of the blind man and the elephant - lot of it depends on where you are.
The high altitude hunting in Unit 76 might be well suited to a mountaineer alpine type like yourself.
I have always seen nice bulls in both units.
One possible difference - I believe that 76 offers an early rifle season - prior to 1st season.

In 76 the North Fork fire was enormous and the much of the forest that survived the burn isn't healthy. Regardless, there were still elk in both those places when I was there 4 years ago. Lot of hunting above treeline too. A number of hunting parties that I know hunt above treeline in 76. We found elk up here the day I took this photo even though it looks unsuitable for man or beast. In early season you wouldn't have to deal with this of course
[Linked Image]

On another day in 76.
[Linked Image]

I saw nice bulls almost every day in Unit 61 last week. It is probably even much better in early rifle season.
This bull had a nice black mane. Too bad I couldn't get the mostly obscured bull in the photo but there are some very cool bulls on 61 sporting these jet black manes.
[Linked Image]

One thing I like about 61 is starting high on the divide and hunting down, instead of having to climb. 1st rifle season in 61 can be very warm.

This is a summer scouting photo from 61. This is down on one of the remote benches. My dog is disappearing into the 5 ft high ferns. This is a trail believe it or not. I noticed right away that the bear sheit here is not composed of seeds and berries, it is hair and bone instead. We left shortly after taking this picture.
[Linked Image]

Couple more from unit 61 last week
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For some other references check the YouTube video by Randy Newberg on hunting 61. There are some links somewhere on this forum.
For some great photos of the elk herds in 76 search the Colorado forum at Monster Muleys for posts by rocketman - probably at least 5 years old now - be sure to check search archives.

Good luck with whichever you choose.
PM sent

Last edited by Alamosa; 11/21/17.