Well over 40 years ago I found a stout piece of wood that had interesting worm cuts on it while chaperoning a group in the NorCal woods. I fashioned it into a 70" "Little John" staff/walking stick with a carved handle. Used it a lot in the old days out in the woods. Still have it and still have no clue as to what kind of wood it is. smile

Also have a great B-Square #A2000 monopod that must be over 20 years old now. The aluminum shaft telescopes with twist locks and has interchangeable round wooden hikers knob, a forked shaped rifle cradle rest, and a camera 1/4x20 stud mount. The bottom pad twists to expose a spike if needed out and about. For a hunter these types of staffs are da bomb. smile

I grew older and first picked up a Komperdell Walker which served me well. Still have it but it has been replaced by beautiful wooden Fritz handled canes from http://www.walkingcaneco.com/. (My favorite is a custom bubinga Fritz with a tiger maple inlaid shaft section.) Before I developed a need for canes I picked up a pair of Gabel Schratt 1803 telescoping 7075-T61 aluminum trekking poles. Used them successfully at places like Arches National Park over a decade ago.

I second the notion, as a septuagenarian, of latch vice twist lock if you opt for carbon fiber or aircraft aluminum trekking poles for your aging dad. As for a wooden tall walking stick, they are great but unwieldy for transport.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

-=[Bob]=-