In my load notes it specifies a .366 depth of expander (after sizing neck and in preparation for seating). This is as a result of something elementary to veteran BP cartridge loaders that I learned with my .45-70:

With accuracy the goal, no soft lead bullet can be pressed into a case in a fashion that deforms the bullet in the least manner.

In the case of this cartridge, a precise neck expander puts the neck in a diameter of no damage to the bullet when seated.

The detriment is that the brass actually does NOT hold the bullet. It is merely put there.

If we "size" (undersize) the neck in the big die, then perfectly expand that neck with our perfect diameter expanding die, there is only mild "press fit " for the bullet.

The .366 measurement here is a cheater backstop. I set the die to put the bullet's base at the bottom bevel of where the expander reached when the heavy bullet was seated with a slim wad and moderate compressiion on the powder charge..

Only the bottom bevel in the neck, supporting the base of the bullet, working against the moderate roll crimp in the 3rd grease groove, hold this bullet in this brass to make it a transportable cartridge. NO neck tension. Just two purchase points on this bullet.

I am a Babe in the Woods with this stuff, learning all the time. too damned willing to learn on my own, and I take advice from others with hard consideration.

Last edited by Tahnka; 11/26/17.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor