Its quite interesting what can be accomplished with the 338-06 or 35 Whelen in a controlled round rifle like
early pre-64 Winchester Model 70s. Mine have the original barrels, which means someone knew exactly what they wanted -and were willing to
arrange the barrel work.

That being said, most of my deer and moose have been killed with the 348 cartridge in the pre-war Winchester Model 71. The 348 Ackley with Woodleigh, Hawk or Alaska Bullet Works bonded 250 gr bullets constitute an amazing combination.
In bear country hunting moose or deer, the moose hunt may quickly accelerate into a big bear hunt. That possibility can bring up an older comparison like weaponry in
Dodge City or Tombstone: having both bolt actions and lever actions, I can tell you the answer. No bolt action can keep up with a fast handling Winchester 1886 or
Model 71 in aimed fire. It cannot be done because of physics and rifle design. The lever action is a standard shift" that helps itself cycle and there is no tendency to drop
the arm from the shoulder.

That is why the serious guides for bear in Alaska and Canada still carry heavy lever actions like the .450 Alaskan wildcat.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....