I choose the 458 socom for reasons already stated - power, versatility, bullet selection. I also prefer a round to head space on the shoulder than the edge of the case. I do relaod but; I am more comfortable loading a bottle neck case than the 45acp type head spacing. I am sorry I dont know the ammo speak words for 450 type case (shoulder less, rim less?) I know what I like and dont like.

In some situations better does not matter, the 6mm rem maybe better than the 243, I own a 243. It looks like Ruger is all in with the 450BM. You wont go to Cabelas and find 458 socom and if you did it would be $50 a box. You will find Hornady 450BM and no more expensive than any other comparable hunting "good quality" ammo.

Any one serous about larger game should be looking at a serious rifle and not making out either of these out to be more than they really are. Moose are pretty big but not very tough to kill. If one will work then so should the other. Saying the socom equals a 45/70 is pretty bogus. I load both and no comparison. Lets be honest.

These are just great fun to shoot. That is the real appeal to me. It is just a kick to blast away with the socom and a 450 should be no different. I think a re-loader would like the socom. A non re-loader can now choose the 450BM and never look back.

There is a proprietary black cloud of hidden specs and non ASME crap pile regarding the socom. A pox on the creator.

The 450BM seems to be a legit standard, free for all to use. Hand writing is on the wall.