A round action (Rem 700 clone) especially with a smaller port is going to be more rigid, more symetrical and EASIER to make shoot great. It will take much more care and skill to get a Mauser to shoot as good and I don't think the end potential is as good. If it was, you would see them in some of the accuracy disciplines. With one exception, I have never seen a Mauser action at a rifle match. I also don't think there is any need for a hunting rifle to shoot much better than 1 MOA. How many of us really shoot far enough that this matters? Sure, it is fun and nice to brag about and to some degree a confidence builder. When I put together a long range hunting rifle I use quality 700 style actions with the accompanying excellent triggers, scope rails and stocks that abound in this configuration. I also quit load testing once I hit .5 MOA as I feel practice is more important that chasing the holy grail of accuracy. I only get about 600-800 rounds out of my 6.5-284 barrels. I hate burning them up looking for 1/4 inch groups when 1/2 inch groups are more than good enough.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.