My experience shooting hogs is like Geedubya"s. if you make a solid chest hit a hog of any size will run 50-75 yards and they head for the hardest places to recover them from. And don't count on getting much if any blood to follow. My 35 Whelen was best in this regard. On my lease hogs smaller than 150 pounds were rare and 200 pounders common. The country south of Childress is a tough place to live outside in and the hogs I encountered out there were pretty tough critters. Shot a lot of them with 223's, 243's, 7x57, 270,308, 30-06 and others. The smallest round I got acceptable performance from was the 7x57 shooting 140 gr. Partitions and 150 gr. Ballistic Tips. The Ballistic Tips didn't always exit on the bigger hogs but they did enough damage to slow them down some. I campaigned the 223 in various configurations and ended up using 75 gr bullets shot from a 20 inch barreled AR. Final consensus was that to get good results the shots Geedubya describe are the only way to go with round like the 223 and 243. Also I highly recommend that you don't go into the thick stuff with your rifle and a flashlight after dark looking for a hog, wait till daylight.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]