Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Ed, is the jacket on these bullets extended far enough forward so that the lead point is protected enough that they will feed well in an AR w/o damaging the tip?

MM

Yes, on both the Federal Fusion and the Noslers. The Federal fusions have a very small (tiny?) lead meplat while the Nosler is very definitely a small flat point.
You really can't see the lead from the side on the Federal and just a little bit on the Nosler.

I have probably shot 500-600 of the Federals and have not had a single issue with accuracy. The rounds that I have downloaded after hunting show no signs of tip damage.

According to literature I've found on these 62gr Fusions, they are the bullet of choice for a lot of LE snipers as they do a great job of penetrating light barriers, particularly auto windshields, continuing on a straight path, and yet still expand. The LE application is why they have a cannelure.

Sort of like shooting through a mud covered gristle shield on a boar, breaking rib(s), then trashing the lungs and leaving the carcass. Or, breaking both bones on a ~175lb boar's foreleg, then passing through the skull from under the jaw and out the top of it's head, leaving a quarter size exit hole. That was a coup de gras shot after I had spined it and it flopped over on it's side, belly towards me.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell