Howdy everyone. I'm in the process of trying to figure out my next rifle and was hoping to get some input on potentially building on a m77 tang safety action.

I love the position and function of the m77 tang safety. I can be in firing position with my trigger finger beside the trigger guard and simply slip the tang safe off without moving my hand. With any other safety (m70 or m700 for example) I have to move my hand significantly to disengage the safe then return my hand to a firing position which has always seemed like a poor design. Am I missing some other design? (I haven't used/hunted with that many actions)

Having said that, would I be foolish to build a rifle on a 77tang action? Who has built on such an action and come out with a tack driver? I only have experience with one 77 tang action (my Pa's .243) and it shoots great. I have read lots about spotty accuracy with the 77's. Some attribute the poor accuracy to bad barrels or the angled recoil lug. If I were to get a good barrel installed on a 77 tang what are my chances of very good accuracy?

I'm not looking for the lightest rifle on earth, I know the 77 is ill suited to that role.

I'm sure I will have other questions if I decide to go this route or another. Just trying to figure out what path I may head down.
Thanks
KT