Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Darrik,

I have 3-10x SHV's with both the MOAR and Forceplex reticle. The MOAR certainly works fine in open fields to the end of legal shooting light, but it sucks in dense conifer timber at closer ranges, especially on darker animals, like black bear or moose. I know this because I've tested the MOAR on black bear and moose hides in conifer timber. (One little-known optical fact is that the dark green of northern conifers absorbs more light than any other color, except black, which is one reason conifers survive so well in northern climes.)

Which is why I am so far leaning hard toward the Forceplex 3-10x as an all-around hunting scope, for those who hunt in any conditions from dark timber to occasionally dialing-up at ranges beyond 250-300.

This exactly.

My neighbors have a variety of bushes planted around their houses ranging from dark to light. They are all in some stage of brown right now - about matching elk hide. I also have some almost black conifer type bushes. I've been using these bushes at different ranges as the backdrop for my reticle evaluations. Fine crosshairs at edges of daylight are very hard to pick up. The black culvert at the end of the road eats fine crosshairs before daylight ends.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.