Skinner: I have shot three different Rifles in caliber 17 Hornet - sadly all three of them were heavy barrel Varmint models (two Ruger 77/17 V/T's and one CZ) I was spotted my shots with all of these on Ground Squirrels!
I will venture a guess here and say if you went with the sporter weight barrel and held a firm grip on that Rifles forearm you would be able to spot your hits.
Now for some un-requested advice - I would opt for the Ruger 77/17 V/T Hornet heavy barrel over anything else - especially for my uses (Ground Squirrels and Prairie Dogs).
In fact I have two Ruger 77/17 Hornet rotary magazines on hand right now along with a set of brand new 17 Hornet dies and two packages of Hornady 17 Hornet brass - I just have not come across a Ruger 77/17 Hornet for sale recently.
My good friend Mark from SW Washington state is in the process of buying a CZ 17 Hornet and he is opting for the heavy barrel model as well.
And this - I prefer the added mass (weight) of heavy barrel Rifles for all my Colony Varmint Rifles (both rimfire and centerfire) - the added mass helps in obtaining more hits (more fun!) under field conditions.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy