Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by TheKid

All we could figure is that she ran out into the lake and sunk. We searched up and down the shoreline for a couple hours and went back over the blood trail a couple more times but the deer had just vanished.

Had a wounded moose go into a lake,but it floated.

My buddy and I were making a two man Wisconsin drive on a small island in a chain of lakes. He was the driver and I was on stand. A bull moose showed up about 50 yards away and I put the cross hairs behind his shoulder and sent a Hornady 154 grain at him from my M70 7x57. Puff, he disappeared into the underbrush. The sight picture was good and was confident it was a good hit.

I walked over to where I had last seen him and found hair and a small amount of blood. That was it, so I made a couple half circles from that spot, nothing. Heard my buddy whistle on a empty cartridge case and I answered with same. We met up and widened the search area, but multiple moose tracks hindered the search. Finally, one set of tracks looked promising because it looked like the animal would stumble. We followed the tracks to a brushy shoreline of water and could not see where the moose went up or down the shoreline, came back to last set of tracks and figured it went into the water and sank or made it to the other side.

We gave one last look of the area before going after the canoe and check the opposite shore for tracks and I spotted a brown hump in the water. It is at 4 o'clock near the tall thin tree in the foreground of the pic. This moose traveled over 150 yards with a lung shot and a liver hit.

[Linked Image]

I didn't know Wisconsin ever had a Moose season.