I have the same issue, and have nothing but trial, error, and an idea for a fix.

Admittedly, a fix would be easier save for two requirements — must draw from right hip and must use a holster with the Safariland ALS type security design. Why? It’s what I’m used to. It will also keep the AZ horror show brush from ripping the pistol out.

A pistol is worth zero to a backpacker if it can’t be on point RFN. Right—another word—Now. I can do this only with the above gear. I don’t want a chest rig because 99% of the time pack straps, including chest strap, and binocs are already there. Too much clutter.

It sort of works to remove a pack belt buckle and mount the holster there. But it often digs into the upper thigh. So the idea is to sew a nylon strap around the right side of the padded portion of the belt. If that fails, maybe I’ll get a holster for each pack and just sew the damned thing where I want it. Pricey, I know.

It would take so much training to make another mounting system equivalent that I’m just gonna dance with her that brung me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill