The wife's chickens were wiped out by a coyote last summer and she wants to get more. She insists on free ranging them so predation is likely. I want to add a couple of geese to the mix to at least warn of predators if not protect the chickens. From what I have seen regarding Canada geese, a couple of them can handle pretty much everything up to coyotes without much problem and even a lone coyote thinks twice before tackling a pair.

My problem is I know little of geese and need suggestions on breeds for my purpose. Whether to get a gander or two or stay with all females would be appreciated too. We do not have a water source so the geese would be mostly wandering the yard if that is a factor. I realize geese are grazers so wonder how tough they are on lawns and flower beds. The garden is fenced against rabbits and deer so I am probably good to go there. We have a small hobby farm with the nearest neighbor a few hundred yards away so space isn't a problem.

The wife is not on board with this as she is afraid the geese will be overly aggressive to her and visitors. I would be buying the geese as goslings along with the chicks so feel we can establish an equitable pecking order. Minimum order size appears to be 5 birds which would be the max. At night, I hope the geese can use the same coop as the chickens or I can build a shelter outside the coop entry for he geese to use at night.

So, if anyone can give any suggestions on breeds to look at and any other advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Just don't suggest a pen for the chickens as I lost that battle. Twice.