Originally Posted by ctw
Gene , Wondering if there has been a conclusion on scope blocks or was it belding and mull?

My conclusion is no, others still think yes. The Spiegel catalogs have no mention of Belding & Mull, the pictures show Mossberg scopes, the descriptions say "drilled & tapped for standard scope blocks" - Belding & Mull took special blocks and the examples of their front blocks I have seen do not look suited to the hole spacing on a Spiegel. The few examples seen of blocks that fit these holes would not work with a Belding & Mull. If you look at the Spiegel catalog pages all of the guns drilled & tapped for scopes could be ordered with one of a couple special Mossbergs scopes already mounted.

Looking at the catalogs, although Spiegel never seemed to have guns made under their own name, they had manufactures make models with special features only offered by them, this is very apparent with the Stevens & Mossberg 22's they sold, They also had Mossberg make scopes with special features exclusively for them - I do not see them drilling & tapping their guns for a odd scope mount that they did not market themselves (Belding & Mull had been making scopes for about 10 years before the Spiegel's came out).

Last edited by GeneB; 12/13/17. Reason: added more of my unpopular opinion....

Gene