Originally Posted by markak338fed
Well, thanks for the reply's I guess, some actually imparted some useful info.. I believe your right Steelhead, I did a 35-348 improved years ago and it was a simple re-chamber and headspace. I hunt rain forest for deer/moose where there are brown bears and ranges are rarely over 200yds, The 356win has served me well. Have 3 customized mod 94's and I have no intentions to sell any of them. If it was possible to gain 150 to 200FPS then it would have been worth the effort for me. I reload, best load so far has been the 250Kodiak at 2250FPS out of 20in barrel, accurate and kills very well. Have thought the FTX while works great on deer might not be right for the potential close range brown bear situation, a little soft. Have been in that situation twice with 358win and once with the 356win served me well. If memory serves me right the 30-30AI got a decent increase in velocity and was thinking with the 356 should gain the same. I like tinkering with my rifles and have kind of maxed out what I can do with these, for 3 rifles didn't find the cost of reamers to be prohibitive. Didn't know the 35whelan improved didn't gain much velocity, will have to check that out.

The 30/30 is a slopping/tapered SOB, the 356 is not. It's no different than doing a 308 WinchesterAI or a 358 Winchester AI, you ain't gonna get the gain out of, because there ain't much taper to begin with.

The gain I've seen from a 35 Whelen AI is akin the differences between like rifles in the same cartridge, which ain't much.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"