Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Mossberg Patriot in 338 Win Mag. I don't have a lot of knowledge on these rifles, but have read great reviews on these. I got this thing for cheap. However with a leupold 3-9 on this thing, loaded it weighs less than 7 pounds. Less than 6 1/2 unloaded. 22" Fluted barrel.

I am not a guy that is recoil sensitive, but I am starting to wonder if this thing is going to ring my bell. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but just loaded up a box of 180 Grain Nosler Accubonds for it.

Anybody have any experience with these things in Magnum Calibers?

If you are a little afraid to shoot it for extended periods at the range, buy and use a lead sled. But in reality the recoil won't be too bad from a mild 185-grain bullet/load. When I started shooting a .338WM I used 250-grain ammo, which produces a lot more recoil, and soon after got used to it. Also, you can always replace the butt pad with a Decelerator recoil pad later on.

To adjust the scope at the range, go to "youtube" and search for a "25-yard three shot sight." It will save you a lot of time at the range. Boresight the rifle, and then try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoFYsBSS3U

The video above is not one where you sight the rifle at 25 yards. In this case the person sighting the rifle foresighted the rifle before he shot it at the range. But if you don't foresight the rifle at 100 yards or more ahead of time, then from a solid rest at the range you can remove the bolt and look at the center of target through the barrel at 25 yards as you just the crosshairs while holding the rifle securely (don't allow it to move). Move the crosshairs to the middle of the target. This is a lot easier to do at 25 yards.

Then load the rifle and as you aim steady on the middle of the target, take one shot. From that first shot one, do as shown on the video. Now the rifle should be shooting right in the middle of the target. Move the target to 100 yards, and see how high above the center of the target you want your rifle to shoot.

Last edited by Ray; 12/16/17.