Greetings fellow campfire members. I want to say that this forum really helped me narrow down my hunting gear when selecting a rifle load, mounts, and scope from the overwhelming availability of gear and abyss of opinions good and bad. I settled in the Hornday GMX 150gr Superformance ammo, Warne QD maxima mounts, and T* Zeiss 8x56 Diatal scope on top of a Remington 700 .30-06.

Back in October I shot my first big game animal - a Mule deer on public land with the help of my friend Dale and Father in law. I took the deer from about a 100 yards with a double lung shot. She went about forty feet and fell. Within an hour we had her field dressed, caped, and in a large backpack. The walk out hurt pretty bad on account to the weight and distance.

While wild game table fare isn't new to our home I felt the need to take up the cause and start procuring meat for the family as my Father in law is approaching his mid seventies and it's only a matter of time before he has to hang up his hat.

I have to say my favorite part was processing the deer on my own with the help of a friend. I made the steaks and ground meat just to my liking. Even the wife and children approve of the venison. This season we also have elk and pronghorn in the freezer owing to my Father in law's success in northern Wyoming.

It's been a red letter year on account of the deer and I expect more to come as I have four elk and pronghorn preference points that I plan on burning in the coming years.

Best wishes to everyone over Christmas and the New Year.

Regards,
Nathan in Colorado

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and my most recent hunting buddy named after my Father in law.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by berryns; 12/15/17.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."