Originally Posted by wyo1895
So it's likely the early post mil 99F 250's with the Chicopee barrels have a 1 in 14 twist? I haven't seen one in 250 but have seen several in 308.
Another interesting fact is that the early DL's had 24" barrels with the raised rear sight base. Since the 24" barrels on the Chicopee EG's and R's were straight tapered Savage must have been making a special run of new barrels for the DL. If Savage had leftover lightweight barrels it seems as though they would have had leftover 24" straight tapered barrels also. Has anyone seen an early DL with a Chicopee barrel address? I'm betting if one exists it has the straight tapered barrel. Switch overs in manufacturing are never clean and that's why we see Chicopee barrels on post mil 99F's. We've talked about this before, I have a 99EG, serial number 9673xx with a lightweight 99F buttstock. It's matching numbers and has the straight tapered barrel. Savage must have had some straight tapered 24" barrels left over when they moved to Westfield and changed the models. David

The 24" barrel 99DLs must not have been very popular in 250-3000, as I can only recall seeing a very few, probably less than 10, likewise tang safety 99Fs in 250-3000 must be among the least common of tang safety configurations.