Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
My brother has one. Decent accuracy. Nice rifle. I assume you have had it out of the stock to make sure you don't have rust below the stock line? Weren't those the ones that had salt in the stocks? My brother's stock finish started to craze all over with tiny cracks and since I hate that thick finish anyway I re finished it for him. It's one gorgeous piece of wood.
I'm not one for collectors so wouldn't care one way or the other if it had a few character marks.

Yes Browning had the infamous "salt wood" problem with them. Mine has been checked out. It was made in 1974 which was the last year they were made and IIRC from internet research, this was after the salt wood period....but you never know. I also remember that the problem was more common with the stocks in higher grade rifles with fancier wood.

What did you use to refinish your brother's stock? Sounds like a fun project.

My brother's rifle had a ding in the cheek piece. I removed the finish with a good paint stripper, sanded it with fine paper and broke the sharp edge in the cheek piece where the ding was then finished it with may coats of Watco Danish finishing oil (we are in California so not worried about hunting in rain for days). Sanded with 400grit paper between coats. Came out nice. Lately when I refinish a stock I just strip and rattle can with Verathane Satin. Brings out the grain nice and it's quick and easy. Again, my wood stocked rifles don't go on international hunts or out on rainy days so I'm not worried if they are waterproof, I have syn stocked rifles for beaters.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor