Originally Posted by lotech
I bought a new red pad #1V .223 about thirty years ago. Quite an accurate rifle as I recall, but, like other some other #1s I've had, would not hold a zero for long. Stock work might have corrected the problem.

Take a look at the wood not exposed to sight. No sealing whatsoever. It's not just on the #1's but on the M77's as well. Take my word on this; don't ever get caught is a very heavy rainstorm with a #1. I'd include the 77 was well. I did on an elk hunt in Oregon. Rained like hell and the wind so bad it damn near ripped the rain coat off me. The #1 was a "B" model in .300 Win. Mag. and is a very accurate rifle. Couple of days later we were back in Nevada where one of my hunting partners runs a game bird hunting ranch. He raises pheasants. He set us up for a hunt and during the hunt we saw a coyote running off with a bird. The only rifle in the truck was my .300 and I missed 4 times. No one ever saw where any of the bullets struck. About a week later when back home in Arizona, I took the rifle to the range and the bullets were just hitting the top off the berm. There was not enough adjustment in the scope to even bring it to point of aim. The rifle was shooting 6 feet high. The edges of the forearm and stock where they abutted the receiver were sticking out more than 1/8 inch. I stored that rifle out in my shed and took it out every once in a while to see where it was hitting. Took over 6 years to where it was back to normal. At least, now I know why I missed that coyote. I just wonder where in hell those bullets ended up?
I'm thinking that's probably the why and wherefore of your wandering zero.Stock work may help but I believe sealing all the unsealed wood will make a difference.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE