Originally Posted by HE112
I have been looking at a possible purchase of a Taurus PT111 G2 Mellenium pistol, the price looks especially good too. I already have a Glock 19 but wanted a second 9 mm pistol that would be easier to carry.

When I checked the recent reports on the warranty issues with Taurus it is often very negative and the guns stay at the warranty station for over a year, and the calls and e-mails are ignored. Taurus developed a bad reputation back in the 1990's when I owned 4 of their handguns and I expedited my removal of them from my collection while I still could sell them.

I had 3 of their revolvers, and all of them had some minor timing issues, but shot well, never jammed and were accurate. The steel was soft though. My Taurus Beretta 92 clone was not all that accurate and the frame seemed to be wearing faster than it should have been, soft aluminum? Probably should have kept one as a truck/house gun as they were pretty cheap to buy and I never had to send any of them back for warranty work.

With their ongoing bad customer service reputation I cannot understand why they are still in business? Is it because many Americans are short-term thinkers and believe that cheap is good over more expensive but better products? Or is it that most Taurus guns do work and enough satisfied customers are around to do repeat buying?

Anyone have experience with Taurus both as a customer and in the business (gun seller) to know on the truth of the warranty issues?

Thanks.

I just can't help but comment.

Taurus does not use soft steel. There's no such thing as "minor timing issues", ether a revolver is in time, or it's not. The Taurus 92 has a reputation for excellent reliability and accuracy. The lower receivers are made of 6061-T6 aluminum and are type 3 hard anodized; they wear no faster or slower than most any other aluminum frame semi auto.

The PT 111 G2 has had some issues when it first came out. There was a large recall that cost Taurus a good year's profits. All started with the Brazilian national police, but then the recall spread pretty much worldwide. Given how many they had sold to foreign LE agencies, it really cost them. But as far as anyone knows, the issues are all worked out and everyone I have known that has owned the PT 111 G2 hasn't had any issues with them.

As for Taurus' warranty, my ONE dealing with them was awesome, but I've heard others complain.