Almost thirty years ago, I came across a FN crested Mauser in a classic custom stock with fine line checkering, border leaf, Neidner butt plate, and a silver grip cap. It was priced about right, neither a steal, nor a real deal. I bought it and a couple of boxes of Light Magnum 180s, advertised at 2880 fps from a 22" barrel. Mine is 24". I choose 180s because of winds in the foothills of the Guadalupes in far west Texas. Upon trying the LMs, I got groups in the 1 to 1 1/4" range, so I went back and bought all the dealer had in stock at the time. I'm down to my last box and a half. No matter, age has caught up with me and I no longer roam those hills in search of desert mule deer. The annual use of this rifle is two verification shots prior to the season, one or two shots for deer, and usually two or three for coyote.

My other two '06s are sighted in with 150s. The other favorite is a '70 Grade III BAR. It does barely over an inch with factory ammo. Between a little weight and the gas system, it doesn't need a pad and it is a great stand gun. I once was swarmed by a herd of pigs during a spring pig and coyote reduction hunt. The BAR went five for five before running dry. Two days later, the coyote business picked up over the remains.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero