I currently have a 1.5-4.5x Bushnell 3200 on my BLR in 358 Win. The reticle illuminates by holding a light to the objective lens and it supposedly glows for about an hour. I haven't used the scope in that manner as the cross hairs are pretty thick and I can see past shooting time in cloudy weather.

By bad weather guns have a 2.5-8x Leupold VX III and a 1-4x VX I Leupold. They both work well to the end of shooting hours, even in the rain, due to thicker reticles. I would like an illuminated dot for better aiming (at least for peace of mind) but so far I can't complain.

I have a Leupold 1.5-5x VX III on a deer rifle that sees similar usage. Again, it works right up to the end of shooting hours with no problem. In fact, I can't recall any of my hunting scopes not being able to handle these conditions. Most of mine are mid-range scopes like Burris Fullfield, Vari-X II/VX II or III, and Bushnell 3200/4200 in roughly 3-9x or thereabouts and there is no difficulty aiming at any time around dark unless the crosshairs are thin.

I typically have my scopes set at 3x as it gives plenty of light and clarity out to 30 yards or so. The only time I use the lowest settings are when I am in a stand giving shots under 15 yards where I prefer the larger field of view.